My labor and delivery story.

Here’s my story:

On June 30th I started to have very early labor pains. Contractions were coming every 15 minutes with some closer, but not too many. They weren’t that bad, just noticable contractions at this point. This lasted all weekend, which really exhausted me.

By July 3rd, I woke up out of a deep sleep at about 4am, to really painful contractions that were coming every 3-5 minutes apart, and there was no way I was going back to sleep. I was in active labor.

Later that morning I had an appointment with my midwife, so I decided that unless they got any closer I would just wait until my appointment to go in (both my midwife and my Doula were aware that I had been in early labor all weekend).

By 10am I had no change, so I was hooked up to some monitors to track my contractions and keep an eye on the baby. 3 different times a nurse in the office came in to tell me that it was going to be another 10 minutes, because they weren’t getting what they wanted. Then after about 30-40 minutes of this, I was told to go eat lunch and come back in an hour, and they would try again, they thought maybe the baby was just sleeping, and I needed to eat something to wake her up.

So after an hour I came back, they hooked me back up, and within 10 minutes they told me that I could now see my midwife. So into another room I went. And then the words that no mother wants to hear came out of my midwives mouth, “You have to go the hospital, your baby’s heart rate is dropping during contractions.” She then went on to explain that it wasn’t a bad drop, but they needed to be able to keep her continuously monitored and the only way to do that, was for me to be in the hospital.

So after crying for a bit(more out of fear for my baby) to the hospital I went. By 3pm I was in a room and was hooked up to monitors. It was a pretty typical labor (well hospital labor) at this point. I couldn’t get out of the bed, they wanted me to lay on my back during contractions (which by the way, I didn’t listen to, I was gonna move around), and they hooked me up to an IV of fluids and an antibiotic, because I had tested positive for Group B strep, and they told me I couldn’t eat. They also wanted, but I didn’t let them, to hook me up to pitocin to make labor stronger.

The labor by this point started to go pretty fast, by midnight I was dilated to 9, but this is where I stayed for the next several hours. Now honestly by this point I was really out of it, I was exhausted, and I was still going with no pain meds. So by the time I was 9 cm, I would have a contraction, and almost immediately fall asleep, and the start of the next contraction would wake me up. So I remember very little about this part. But according to my husband and mother, I became very angry and was kicking things. The only thing I really remember was my Doula at one point saying, “Brenda kicked the peanut ball across the room again.” And I also remember really wanting to push, and being mad that I wasn’t allowed to.

A little after 3:35am I was finally told I could start pushing, because I was dilated to 10. By this point I started to remember things again. And let me tell you, after being told for hours that you couldn’t push, finally being told I could was the best news I had gotten in almost 24 hours. And I was determined to get my baby out of me as fast I could. I pushed for 15 minutes, and she was born at 3:40 am, July 4th. She was born all at once, once her head was out so was the rest of her. She had also passed her meconium (when I say that, I do mean she passed ALL of it, not just some, she came out pooping actual poop). She was on my breast within moments of being born.

She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I was instantly in love with my daughter.

There was some worry after she had been born that she might have been affected by the group b strep, because I spiked a fever as soon as she came out, so both of us were put on antibiotics for our stay in the hospital.

But overall, now my baby is healthy, she was the healthiest baby on the floor when we left the hospital with her to come home. She’s now 10 days old, and has stolen mine and her father’s heart. She’s discovering things and changing everyday. She is the best baby, she sleeps through the night (at least for now), smiles all the time, and has started to giggle in her sleep.

Below is a picture of my daughter. I hope you enjoyed my story.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s